An open discussion about your ISPO (Independent Studio Practice Objectives), reading assignments, and Thesis progress if applicable. ISPO: Each of you should post one ISPO to which you continually add throughout the semester. Reading assignments: I will post one topic per reading and you will each add your comments on the reading to that topic. Thesis progress: If you are working on the written paper for your thesis, please post chapters for discussion.
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Janet's Reading #2, Clark on "Clement Greenberg's Theory of Art"
So I have read it twice. I had hoped that reading it the second time, it would be much clearer. Even after I purchased McGuire’s class book, “Why is that Art?”, and read parts of it for an overview of the Contemporary Art and criticism. I am really frustrated!! I understand Terry Barnett’s book about contemporary art, and it has been very helpful. All the various philosophical approaches to art and how they relate to contemporary art are very clear, not like the reading, “Postmodern Perspectives”. I know that we do not create in a bubble, but if I wanted to write about life and such; I would have become a writer! Why can’t art just be about art? Why does it have to be about class struggle? There will always be a struggle of the classes as long as society focuses on material possessions and their importance. Help! Any thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.