Short term studio objectives. (2-7 weeks- midterm group critique)
1. Continue to explore Contemporary Abstract Painting. Continue exploring the interruption of space and abstracting the landscape.
2. Create 4-6 small / medium studies to determine direction of larger pieces.
3. Work on layering, mark making, texture and composition.
2. Create 4-6 small / medium studies to determine direction of larger pieces.
3. Work on layering, mark making, texture and composition.
5. Learn printmaking techniques as it applies to my painting.
Action plan:
1. Explore representational imagery by layering drawing and painting.
2. Continue to restate daily goals in the studio to maximize time.
3. Continue sketchbook-journal of ideas for subject and context.
4. Start series with a few studies and document as my work progresses.
Action plan:
1. Explore representational imagery by layering drawing and painting.
2. Continue to restate daily goals in the studio to maximize time.
3. Continue sketchbook-journal of ideas for subject and context.
4. Start series with a few studies and document as my work progresses.
5. By mid-term start the first large painting.
Research:
Research:
1. Ask M. Mitchell about book on John Walker, read about it.
2. Research Contemporary / Abstract landscape painters.
3. Create my own research by mind-mapping with words that describe why I paint.
4. Research printmaking techniques and Artists.
Long-term studio objectives (7-15 weeks-final group critique)
1. Explore and work on subject and context.
2. Work on verbalizing and writing about my art work.
3. Explore different types of printmaking as it relates to my work.
2. Research Contemporary / Abstract landscape painters.
3. Create my own research by mind-mapping with words that describe why I paint.
4. Research printmaking techniques and Artists.
Long-term studio objectives (7-15 weeks-final group critique)
1. Explore and work on subject and context.
2. Work on verbalizing and writing about my art work.
3. Explore different types of printmaking as it relates to my work.
4. Find my artistic voice and direction.
Action plan:
1. Continue logging time spent in and out of the studio to keep focus and motivation.
2. Create a series of 4-6 paintings, and 1 large paintings with layers of texture, drawing, paint, and printmaking / collage.
3. Check out botanical garden on campus. Abstract on location.
1. Continue logging time spent in and out of the studio to keep focus and motivation.
2. Create a series of 4-6 paintings, and 1 large paintings with layers of texture, drawing, paint, and printmaking / collage.
3. Check out botanical garden on campus. Abstract on location.
Research:
1. Photograph and document artwork to check on progress and growth.
2. Continue blogging with classmates / professors to get feedback on direction on body of work.
3. Continue learning technology as it relates to artwork and research of art.
1. Photograph and document artwork to check on progress and growth.
2. Continue blogging with classmates / professors to get feedback on direction on body of work.
3. Continue learning technology as it relates to artwork and research of art.
Janet's ISPO UPDATE FOR APRIL 15TH
I am continuing to work on the large 4'x6' painting. I am working on the layering of the painting. I like combining semi-transparent and opaque layers of color and light. I am attracted to encaustics for the same reason. I find the layers of images, shapes, colors, and the mysterious semi-transparent and opaque qualities, remind me of the layers of images from my memories of nature. I will continue with this exploration for the rest of the semester through a mixed media approach. I will only be able to paint one large canvas this semester. I had planned on two, but that is going to be impossible because of time constraints. In addition to the one large painting, I am going to explore encaustics using mixed media. Amy was so kind to share her encaustic workshop with us last week. It is definitely a slower process, but I really liked the layers of semi-transparent colors and shapes. I have included my final project proposal for printmaking so as to clarify my thoughts and direction for my body of work, the remaining weeks of the semester.
Main Concept:
The primary subject matter in my Art is derived from nature. My painting explores the fleeting interactions of light and color based on my experiences and memories. I plan to abstract these images and shapes found in nature for my final project, by creating a series of four mixed media paintings. I would like to create two from encaustics and two from mixed media acrylic on panels.
Composition:
Some of the compositional strategies I use in my work are playing light and color off of each other with the use of opposites such as warm and cool colors, and light and dark shapes to play with an ambiguous space, cropping of images, creating texture and pattern. By enlarging and cropping images of nature, I emphasize the play of positive and negative shapes and space, and the interaction of light and color in the composition. I am interested in exploring the interaction of light, color, space, and shapes found in nature and in the landscape where the land, water, and sky meet. The creative problem I am going to explore in my art is to create this interaction of light, and color through the use of luminous transparent and semi-transparent layers of color, light, and imagery in my work.
Chosen Print Media/ Format/Materials:
For my final project I am going to create a series of mixed media paintings/prints. I prefer a direct method of painting/printing on different surfaces which allows me to see how the transparent, semi-transparent, and some opaque surfaces. The layering allows me to reveal and emphasize the essence of the light and color interactions. I am making a series of different paintings/prints because like the light and color they are always in a state of change. The light and color in nature is fleeting and constantly changing based on the time and place. Each painting/print will change throughout the series as light and color in nature change. These mixed media pieces will be made of 12”x12” panels incorporating some monoprints, stamping, photo transfers, and collage. I may possibly use plexiglass and acetate or encaustics, I will use panels to add stamping, monoprints and imagery on. Supplies needed are 4 sheets of white, Canson Edition paper. I will supply all other materials which include Plexiglass, thick acetate, rice paper, rods, tape, spray mount, fixative, glue, pigment, encaustic materials, thread, and panels.
Main Body of Work:
I will create a series of prints. The four images will be taken from nature and the landscape. In these mixed media pieces I will combine images, monoprint, stamping, and collage. The creative problem is to create a cohesive collection of pieces while at the same time keeping each piece unique and original. I believe I can do this through the use of monoprints. Each monoprint will be unique, but with the use of stamping and collage I will be create a cohesive body through repetition of color, shape, texture, and pattern. I am making a series of prints that are all different because the focus of my art is on light and color which is constantly changing in nature, so I believe each piece should change, as the sun moves throughout the day the light and color change.
Format:
The format of the four different images and their series of five each will be square, but some may be rectangular. I always relate my cropped images to the picture plane, so the format may change. The interaction between the formal elements and the picture plane is of interest to me in abstracting the organic shapes.
Artist Book:
The Artist Book will record these fleeting moments in time, through the use of changing light and color as seen through the transparent and semi-transparent layers of plexi-glass and acetate which is recorded in the Artist Book. Just as naturalists have recorded nature out in the field I will create and use images which are records of my exploration out in nature. In my art the exploration continues through the use of art materials. The concept continues with the interaction of color and light. The Artist book will be approximately 8”x10”folded flat and 12”x 60” when opened up to display as a work of art, similar to a Japanese folding screen. I will use all the mixed media listed above.
Research:
I have been researching Robert Rauchenberg, Robert Motherwell, Wolf Khan, and others.
Brian Rutchberg: He abstracts landscapes, using a unique quality of light found in the low country coast, where the land meets the water. For me my interest is where the land, water, and sky meet, and the abstract shapes created.
So for the rest of this semester I will incorporate these ideas in three different ways.
1. Exploring mixed media with printmaking, monoprints,etc...combining them on 12"x12" panels. Maybe two of them with encaustics and two of them with mixed media acrylic, and gels to create the same look.
2. Creating three books using mixed media, on plexi panels, that open into a screen to show the layering of abstract light and color.
3. Finishing the large 4'x6' painting on canvas which incorporates the same concept of layering of light and color using nature as my subject.
Time Line:
4/2: Planning and gathering supplies and images, design/carve stamps.
4/9: Experiment with encaustics and create monoprints on plexi /rice paper.
4/16: Continue to work on images, encaustics and monoprints
4/23 &4/30 Create monoprints on plexiglass book panels add imagery, and attach hardware.
Finish paintings in studio including large 4’x6’ painting.
Janet's ISPO UPDATE SPRING SEMESTER
This semester has just been a blur!!
I have learned so much, the new process to me printmaking, new research on various mixed media artist, and encaustics. I have worked 50-70 hours every week. I created eight paintings, two small, four medium and one large 4'x6' painting. Some are almost complete, the large one has long way to go, which I plan to finish this summer along with the others. I have printed over 200-300 prints, most of mine consisting of original mono-prints, collagraphs, collage, and other original mixed media pieces. I prefer the direct method of painting for me, but did learn new ideas about my work. I still was working on integrating space, edges, texture and line quality in my work. I think it will only make my paintings better. The use of collage helped me to try new ideas out visually. And I will continue with this with my painting. I think the idea of stenciling and the printing of textures, and layering is the direction for summer. These elements used in printmaking, layering, and balancing organic / geometric shapes will continue in my paintings. I often take aspects of one medium such as pastels and apply them to my paintings. I enter and participated in my
first research symposium. I started some encaustics this semester and
will continue this summer with an encaustic workshop. I will research
more about other artist and their use of process as content. Some of the arist I have researched are Brenda Hartill, Gustauve Klimnt, John Chamberlin, Herman Nitsch, Paula Grasdal, Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschengerg, William Tillyur, Robert Motherwell, and Mark Mehaffey.
Janet’s ISPO Update 2-12-12
ReplyDeleteWith my short term studio objectives I am continuing to explore the interruption of space, but recently my main focus has been on a shallow / flat spatial field. I am still exploring abstracting the landscape and combining mixed media, with paint always in the mix! I would like to see about creating some stamps in printmaking to use in my paintings. I am currently working on five small to medium studies. Some of these paintings include representational as well as abstraction of the landscape. In the next week or two I will start my large painting after selecting one of these studies to enlarge. I am in the process of researching painters that include painting, drawing, and printmaking as a mixed media approach. I have documented my progress, but I am having a little trouble emailing them to myself and will continue to work on this
Janet,
ReplyDeleteThanks for letting us into your studio. To recap you stated that your work was about nature and experiences, letting the experiences inform the essence (emotion, mood, idea, atmosphere,aura) of the place. We asked if the work was necessarily about nature, or if it was about place or environments (you have works that sprung from New York satellite pictures and old maps - those things don't really fall under the category nature, right?)? Alicia suggested trying combining natural and abstract spaces (like a NY skyline with a forest - just another possible starting off point). You stated that the paint is your real focus, and you want to play with a combination of textures and edges. Elsie suggested taking your small pieces and turning them into studies for larger works, starting with a mechanical reproduction (a grid or projection - which are also great starting off points you could use for your paintings) of the work before investing your painterly self into the pieces more intuitively. You may experience a change not only in technical issues, but also in the expression of the work as it changes size (it may take on a different emotion or expression as it becomes large). Your images with larger shapes are more unified than the pieces with many small shapes. I noticed that the painting on the easel with the circle in vine charcoal had a lot of color, temperature, and value symmetry, and felt that it was stagnating the eye movement. I don't think the shapes need to be changed, just either within the cross or around it, push either value, color, or temperature differences (lot's of solutions!). I think the painting overall is very close to being done. I would love for you to keep the simple vine mark in the piece, because it pulls the eye away from the dominating cross form, it provides an asymmetrical area of interest, and the line weight is so different from the rest of the image, but because it's in areas of lower contrast and because it takes up a large section of the painting it does not read as an anomaly. I also enjoyed the large bird piece because of the textures, the emergence of patterning, and because of the layering.
Janet's ISPO Update:
ReplyDeleteStudio Production:
Sorry to take so long to update my ISPO on the blog. I have been writing in my studio book every week, but have not entered it here. I was working on The Travel Grant, The Graduate Research Symposium, printmaking, and I have been painting. The feedback above from Amy and Alicia's studio visit were very helpful for me. The larger abstract shapes are more unified than some of the smaller paintings and shapes. Sometimes my paintings do seem fragmented. Elsie and I talked about taking and blowing up an area to paint, an area that attracted me to this image. I will look at the abstract shapes in nature, simplify them to just include the essence of it. The painting of the palm fronds, the driping of the paint had the essence of the palm fronds, without painting every leaf. I like the patterning of the surface of some of my paintings. I may experiment with pattern some more. I have done a little research on Matisse and his use of pattern. I may keep the pattern subtle and textural at first. I do not want the pattern to make the paintings too busy, the shapes, and color are more important to me. I have been working on five different paintings working on layering drawing, painting, and stamping. I have documented the paintings currently under production in the studio, maybe I could get someone to show me how to send them to the blog?
Research:
I did borrow Marc's book on John Walker, not the direction I am looking for. I am drawn to stronger shapes with the layering of marks,texture and connections between the flat planes of color. So far Richard Diebenkorn and Hans Hoffman are some artist I am still researching.
Janet's ISPO Update for March 21
ReplyDeleteStudio Production:
I took this from my studio book entry and research notes. I am trying to lighten my dark areas but not so much as to lose the contrast. I so like some contrast. Elsie suggested creating a lexicon of shapes to abstract. I pulled out some shells I have wanted to draw and paint for awhile. It really did help to blow these up and abstract, focusing on the shapes and flat planes of color...I need to blow it up larger it still looks like a shell instead of the essence of the shell's form. I went back and reworked the red abstract by layer marks, textural paint, and adjusting the color temperature warmer, and it looks pretty good. I am working on a balance between organic edges and large simple shapes that hold together across the composition, maybe simplification is the answer. I am ready to go large as previously suggested.
Research:
I have looked at some other artists Mark Rothko and Wolf Kahn are two.
Janet's ISPO Update for April 1st
ReplyDeleteStudio Production:
So excited about this new large painting, 4'x6', it was exciting just buying the canvas. The influence came from some satellite images of the coast. It brought back memories of growing up swimming in the translucent blue and green waters off the Florida Coast. First several layers of contrasting cool, blue-violet, and warmer, turquoise-blue colors along with some green, gray and violet,then textures, next linear marks connecting across the composition connecting the shapes together. Then I stalled not sure where to go, trying to learn to trust my instincts and intuition. I will start again tomorrow.I am a little behind where I wanted to be in my painting, but catching up! I will create one more large painting before the end of the semester, maybe adding some stamping and collage. Encaustic is one more area I want to explore before my exploratory time ends. I like the mysterious, opaque qualities created by the layers of wax...I have tried recreating this with mediums, still working on this.
Research:
I need help finding artist with the same influences and style. I need to reach out to some of the professors. Pat did recommend Motherwell's philosophy. I am going to check out the speech at Brown University's Doctoral Speech. She said it was about the idea of practice and process.